Pioneers

We have lived in Texas for the last 3 years. For us that's a good amount of time. And yet, I still don't like it here. I'm not complaining or trying to criticize the state, but I just don't like it. I hate that the grass looks and feels so different than what I grew up with. I hate that the bugs here are bigger and a little more scary. I hate that I don't feel comfortable walking on unpaved paths. And I hate that the predators here seem so much worse than everywhere else. I guess since Pioneer Day is coming up, somehow my thoughts began to think about the pioneers. I gained a new appreciation for what they must have surely went through. I know that if we continued to live here, LaNea would be just fine with fetching balls out of bushes, rafting down rivers with alligators nearby. I admire anyone who has made a change like the pioneers whether for a better job or to be closer to family. I can't imagine that any of those first pioneers were every very comfortable in their new surroundings and yet they stuck it out for the benefit of their future. Pretty impressive to me. Anyways...

Now, I am sorry that I haven't really taken any good pictures of LaNea lately, ever. One day, I'll do better. For now, here's just a few to show what LaNea's been up to lately.


I hate that she sucks her thumb. Not that it doesn't look cute but I know way too many horror stories to want it to continue. Now that LaNea has a terrible habit of picking her nose while sucking her thumb, I have the perfect excuse to encourage her to stop! :)
This little girl is Lexi. I was watching her for the last little while. LaNea loved Lexi and would always enjoy getting her to laugh. That's not to say she didn't get completely jealous of Lexi too. If I was giving Lexi too much attention, LaNea would make sure she climbed in between Lex and I, who cares if I was giving her a bottle!
LaNea has begun making many friends in church and at playgroup. But her best friend would still have to be Izzie. She always needs to know exactly where she is and is always willing to share her food with her. Izzie is now sleeping in LaNea's room at night and I'm sure that's only helping the friendship grow. Now if only I could teach Izzie that "dom" means "come", LaNea would be in Heaven!
This is just to show how helpful LaNea is. She's always okay with picking up her toys and putting her clothes in the basket. She is also good about putting dirty dishes in the sink, throwing away garbage and LOVES to wipe down the house in general. She's also very interested in helping unload the dishwasher. The good side for me is I tend to unload it twice as fast to make sure she doesn't get to the breakables! I love my little girl and how big she thinks she is.

6 Comments:

  1. Joy Newey said...
    She is adorable, thanks for the update. Her little chairs looks wonderful with the new cover.
    Brittany said...
    I am so with you on your "love" for Texas. Lova the pictures of the princess keep 'em coming!
    Xana said...
    You are so ready to leave for greener pastures...I remember those feelings. That day will come. In the meantime I love your new hobbies and seeing LaNea.
    Melissa Hirschi said...
    Move to Utah! That's what the pioneers did and look how good it turned out for them. :)
    Elisse Newey said...
    oh no... we haven't made it yet to texas but now I'm even more worried about how I'll adapt. We really have to get together once we finally get there so you can give me the whole scoop about texas!
    Chelsea said...
    I would love for you and Eric to move to Utah!!! I love California a lot but I will never live there again- too much money, too much violence and too much scariness. Utah has flaws too but there are not a lot of snakes in the valleys and no huge spiders and it has beautiful mountains and great hiking.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home